background

find

Saturday, January 4, 2014

Classroom Library Re-Do


I adore being a kindergarten teacher.  It is one of the biggest surprises & blessings in my life.  Ask anyone I taught with throughout college & very few would say they could see me teaching kinder upon graduation.  However, the past semester has proven (to myself at least) that I have found my niche.  Watching my kids grow by leaps and bounds everyday and experience the accomplishments through the eyes of one that young is such an incredible experience.

One of my favorite college professors taught an Early Literacy class & stressed the importance of letting  students experience print on their own terms.  That point was driven home my senior year when one of my inspirations (Meagan, who I am blessed enough to also call best friend) introduced me to the Daily Five.  While my school district uses a different model than the Daily Five, I am still able to incorporate parts of it in my literacy block.  When God threw me a surprise new job this summer I was hard pressed to have a classroom set up at all...least of all worry about the library set up.  Moving from third grade to kinder was the biggest blessing but it also brought about many changes in how I run my room.  I learned VERY quickly that my current classroom library set-up was just now working.  I kept telling myself that I would fix it over the summer but over the holiday break I realized it needed to be done now.  So, the last two weeks have been filled with the "Classroom Library Re-Do".

It was in the middle of this project that I realized what a wonderful resource TpT is.  In my head I knew exactly what I wanted, but it would have taken way longer than two weeks on my own.  After a little paroosing I found Bethany McClure's blog, Learning is A Journey and by default her TpT store.  She has some wonderful library organizing resources.


I started off by organizing my books based on genre/series.  Thankfully, Coach Husband assisted with this part.
Book sorting


While I was sorting I realized that I had multiple of some books and very little of others.  Many parents, friends and family members ask what books I would like them to purchase for my classroom library and I never know what to say.  I created an Excel Workbook to help me keep track of what books I have and where I could locate them!  This is by far the smartest thing I have done as a teacher, probably EVER.

Logging books

With a 22+ genres I made one big workbook and added a sheet at the bottom for each different pile on my carpet.

Next I printed the different genre book box labels and the individual sticker labels from Bethany's TpT store.  I loved that she made small sticker labels to affix to the actual books.  Students just have to match the sticker on the book to the sticker on the book box to place it back where it goes.  Genius.

Book stickers
 After forcing Bre & Meagan to accompany me to Ikea during our Dallas Best Friend Week I finally had the magazine holders that would serve as my book boxes. (Side note: Ikea literally gives me an anxiety attack.  All the people & stimulation.  It's a good thing B&M took charge or I might not have made it through).


 I put the books in the appropriate book boxes and then placed them on the bookshelf!



Finished product!




Tuesday my kids will be in for a big surprise.  I can't wait to see how this changes their interaction with the classroom library.  I am always looking for ways to improve my teaching and classroom management.  I am already thinking of what my next project will be.  Coach Husband however, is hoping inspiration doesn't strike until summer.

Emily  

No comments:

Post a Comment