background

find

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

2014 "resolutions"

So, I love Pinterest. This is just a fact of life - I am pretty sure it was created for me. I have always been a visual learner and I think that's why it speaks to me so - pictures and organization, what could be better?! That being said, tonight I am too awake to sleep. Don't you hate those nights? Most people when they can't sleep will watch TV, read a book, drink Sleepytime Tea (cough cough, Emily) or some other activity to slow their mind. I organize my Pinterest boards.

While going through one of my boards and thinking about the New Year, I was struck by several inspirational quotes I had pinned. I have never been good at New Year's resolutions - I put to much pressure on the concept of setting impressive resolutions that are actually achievable. This year, however, I thought it might be fun to choose some quotes to serve as a 2014 guide. General inspirations for 2014, if you will. :)


Without further adieu... here are my 14 inspirational pictorial resolutions for 2014 along with my little reminders to myself when I am inevitably overwhelmed and stressed in 3 weeks and "over 2014":

1.
Ralph Waldo Emerson has always been one of my favorites. This is so simple but so powerful to me. I have an extreme tendency to overcomplicate things, but in the end what matters is to: be silly, be kind, be honest. 

2.
In college, one of my best friends tattooed "believe in yourself" on her foot. We were terrible. We teased her mercilessly saying things like "look at your foot" when she would ask us for advice. In all honesty, believing in yourself is key and a personal struggle for me. You are all you have - so you might as well trust, love and believe in yourself. If you don't, no one else will. 

3.
This reminds me of childhood me...not a care in the world, and that is something I strive to get back to. Screw what the world thinks, my world: my friends, my family, my God, all accept and embrace me for all my quirks and randomness.


4.
Dance like no one is watching. It hurts no one and makes your heart feel lighter. Read to enrich your mind, free your soul or to transport yourself somewhere else. Whatever the reason: do it. If it makes you happy and doesn't harm the world, then you're good. 

5.
This may be my ultimate 2014 inspiration. Love and laugh abundantly. Abundantly. Without abandon. Do these and your life can't help be anything but beautiful.

6.
One of my 100 goals is to keep a gratitude journal. Being grateful is so key - recognizing what others do for you and in all the ways you are blessed.

7.
This one really spoke to me, because it is so true. It is impossible to be perfect and to have everyone like you/me. So: let. it. go. It is their loss, because we are ripe, juicy peaches and they don't know what they're missing out on!

8.

Ultimately, some days are going to suck. It is inevitable. I've already had one of those days this week (and it's only Wednesday). BUT, create your own sunshine! You have the power to bring a ray of light to any and every day. So sparkle and shine and turn things around - not for others, but for yourself.

9.
This one and #13 go hand-in-hand, but hey - it's a big concept for me. John Lennon once said that life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. Mr. Lennon and Carrie Bradshaw know the secret - let things happen as they may. As my family says over the table playing Texas 42 when one of us thinks we can lay down our hand and start a new game... "let's play it out, yeah that's probably what will happen, but let's let the pieces fall".

10.
Psalm 139:14 "because I am fearfully and wonderfully made." We are each unique, special and individual. Why the heck do we want to be like everyone else? 

11.
Girls rule, boys drool. Oh goodness, I feel like I'm back in 6th grade. Seriously though, stop trying to impress guys - they're not worth it. Wear what you want to wear because you want to wear it. Fix your hair and put on make-up because it makes you feel good.

12.
Slightly ironic given that I'm currently staring at a screen, but these are all things I think I would love to add more of to my life, as I think everyone would. :)

13
I am the biggest worry wart, ever, and for no good reason. All worrying does is create wrinkles. Does it solve the problem? No. Does it make things better? No. Que cera cera...what will be will be - regardless of how much I worry or fret.

14.
Last, but not at all least.
"Freely you have received; freely give".

Now an hour after I started this post and 2 hours after I locked my door, turned off the lights and got in bed, I think I am ready to sleep. 

So raise your glass of champagne, Dr. Pepper, sweet tea or water 
and cheers to a happy 2014.








No comments:

Post a Comment